Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fly Fishing

Today's adventure took place: Ridley Creek State Park

I took The Rooster fly fishing for the first time on Sunday, and we both had a lot of fun. He had a couple of minor tangles, but I honestly lost more flies to snags (3) than he did (1). He was getting some nibbles, but couldn't set the hook, and struck out. (I managed to hook a small largemouth, which snapped the end of my leader off when I was trying to get my fly back. )

Not bad for an almost 10 year old. I made him read part of my first-time guide to fly fishing in advance of the trip, and it helped prepare him. He is excited that he can fish almost any type of tackle now (although knots are still my job). It was only about 3 months ago that I moved him from a trigger cast to a regular spinning reel, so it is another big jump.

Don't be afraid to let them try new stuff - the sooner the better. He has amazed me every time. The coolest part was the group of kids with spinning rods in their hands that were totally jealous of him standing in the Fly Fishing Only area - and amazed that "Kids can do it too"!

Notes to remember:

  1. Knots are tough to tie mid-stream. Practice.

  2. Bring a net for landing and un-hooking fish. Hemostats too.

  3. Baby nail clippers - perfect for trimming tags (end of knot). Keep hooked onto the vest.


We may not get back out this year (unless we hit a warm stretch), but I am already looking forward to going again next year and seeking out new streams to practice our new skill on.

No comments:

Post a Comment