Tuesday, January 1, 2013

E-A-G-L-E

Today's adventure took place: On the drive home

New Years Eve, was a big day for eagles. My former rooting interest, the Philadelphia Eagles, finally got rid of the arrogant, s.o.b. coach after a miserable 4-12 season, and the latest quarterback is hopefully not far behind. Truth is, I have come to despise the entire NFL since the MV era began, and will not be going back at all (but that is another subject for another soap box).

Although I have a fear of birds (5 years old, tortured by older kids who kept flipping on Hitchcock's thriller when the adults weren't looking), I am enthralled at watching them soar overhead. From flocks of starlings, their coordinated movements and the rush of air as they fly low overhead on a warm autumn evening, to a single dove, the panicked fluttering as they leave their roost, I am always stopping to watch the birds fly.

I have always been fascinated by raptors. Red Tailed Hawks are abundant in PA, and in the rural area I live, the Turkey Buzzards are everywhere. I have seen both loitering everywhere from my backyard to the highways and byways.

But Eagles are special.

I am not a cheerleader patriot (Yay 'Merica!), I am just fascinated by these large, powerful creatures. For all their strength and beauty, eagles are still sensitive and fragile - once pushed to the threat of extinction by the actions of those they symbolically represent. Bald Eagles are amazing.

I have seen them a couple of times in captivity. They have a pair at my favorite family amusement park, Knoebels Grove. I always slip away to visit them for a few minutes when we are there. And three times, I have seen them in the wild. Two of those times were as I drove along Route 422. Yesterday, was that second time.

The first was going through the Valley Forge area - I spied one flying over from one side of the highway into the park area. I couldn't believe my eyes - a real bald eagle. I was thrilled.

The second time I was able to share with the family driving along Little Pine Creek just north of Waterville, PA. We had just left McConnell's Country Store and Fly Shop to our rented cabin, when we saw a bald eagle eating a fish on the far bank. We sat and watched for about 15 minutes while he ate his lunch. I was absolutely captivated by the sight, and can still see it clearly in my mind's eye.

My most recent encounter, yesterday, was again seeing one soar along as I drove along 422 - this time it was over the Schuylkill River just west of Reading. It was only a glimpse, but the thrill of seeing another of these magnificent birds has had me brimming with excitement ever since.

Now that I know that they are here, I will be looking for them every day, hoping to catch another glorious glimpse of the beautiful and strong symbol of our nation. As we stand on the brink of the "fiscal cliff", I will take it as a positive omen, personally and as an American, that will see us all moving forward and soaring along in 2013.

Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment