Thursday, January 3, 2013

Show Time!

Today's adventure took place: In the mail?!?

I came home today to a brochure in the mail. It's that time of year – time for all of the outdoor, hunting/fishing shows. If you can't get outside due to the miserable weather, at least you can think about getting out in the spring, maybe make a reservation for the upcoming year...Time to revel in the possibilities of a new year in the outdoors.

EIGHTEEN BUCKS.

Each.

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time justifying that on so many levels.

First – Next week is the PA Farm Show. Free. My kids love it, we all go and spend the whole day. We get some peacock hurl, fresh Horseradish sauce for the wife, some deer jerky for me, maybe a trinket or two for the kids, but not a dime to get in. Parking costs $10, but for a family of 5, that is a deal. And I could probably find cheaper parking if I really tried, but why bother.

Second – For me to go and take my son, would cost me nearly as much as my PA fishing license for the year with trout stamp. For one day, I can pay for my whole year of fishing – with one boy, both boys, alone. A whole year.

Third – Lefty Kreh is on the guest list. Lefty Kreh. One of the biggest names in the sport. And I likely wouldn't get within 100 yards of him no matter what the venue. But Google his name, and I get a video of Lefty Kreh teaching the basics of casting. Clearer and with better visibility than anything I could hope for in a show setting. I have watched this video dozens of times, and I defy a fisherman of any age and ability to not find themselves thinking about and remembering his tips as you are out on the water next time.

Fourth – yeah, fourth - $18 worth of fly tying materials. I got a $50 Amazon gift card (spent $50.01 with shipping- nailed it!) for Christmas. That $18 is 75 Daichi hooks, 8 Spools of thread in various sizes and colors, a pack of saddle hackle, dyed maribou, 3 packs of pheasant tails..........the list goes on.

Ok, I'm cheap. I admit it. But time and money are hard to come by these days, and I value them both. We are a single income household, and I don't have a ton of money to throw around. I feel a little guilty when I spend money on myself selfishly to the exclusion of my family. Spending a day off by myself, leaving my wife to tend the kids without help, or taking away from the limited time I have to spend with the family. That day in an arena or hotel is a day off the water, and lets face it, if I am going to burn a Saturday without the family, I would rather actually be fishing.

So I will bank that day for the spring. Save the $30 for a campsite. And look forward to the mayfly hatches and next big get together on the water.

Tight lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment